martes, 14 de septiembre de 2010

Angels are near us

Today's post is directed to all those who feel that life is just too hard and they can't make it on their own. If you are having those thoughts, stop now and remember that life is not meant for that purpose and that you are not alone.There are angels near us. I have felt their influence in my life. I speak of Heavenly help sent by God in times of need. I will never forget the experience I had during probably one of the darkest times of my life. Ok here comes the longest story made short so it's not too boring. I had been living in Brazil for a couple years and my mom had suggested me to go on a trip anywhere in the world during school break. In my mind I was thinking Australia, England, or even somewhere in South Africa but little I knew of the place that she really wanted me to go: Utah. At the time, just the thought of going to Utah was scary because of all the things I had heard about it and for the reason of being known as the "Happy Valley" and "Mormon town". (Go figure, right?! I'm a Mormon myself!) I guess when you're thinking South Africa, Utah doesn't sound too exciting. Let's be honest! Well, my mom had different plans in mind and little by little she tricked me into going there for a month. I can't remember a time where I felt the most alone in my entire life than the time I spent away from everything I knew in the U.S. Nevertheless, I was soon to discover the hand of God in my life for the first time.

Living in a foreign country is not easy. Not only the place is different, but also the people look, act, and speak differently and it truly is a whole new world. My first attempt to learn the language was a failure and when the teacher handed me the results of an English test I had taken, I could see the words written in her forehead: "Writing essay's in English is not your vocation!" In a delicate manner she basically told me that if I ever wanted to speak English or let alone learn how to write an essay I had to read A LOT.
This time, my determination grew stronger and after getting home that day I had decided to read the biggest book I could find in the house. I was living with a Mormon family and to my surprise I found something I had never seen before: a family size copy of the Book of Mormon. I guess I should have expected something like that considering that in the United States everything is made extra large and it is not only limited to big gallons of milk, extra large sodas or clothing for big people but it also includes the word of God in big print.
I felt the influence of angels in my life as I read the Book of Mormon thinking it would help me be more proficient in English. My heart changed and I could feel those stories were real. This is to be continued because I only have 9 minutes left and we're at the public library. (Go figure the life of a missionary!) but the point of me sharing this experience is that as I ponder over and over again on what happened I can clearly see the angels God placed in my path. My mom was the first one. In addition to her, the family I was living with became like a second family and Jennifer Peterson continues to be an angel in my life.
During times of need, God will place angels in our way to show us His love. I believe in them because I have seen them. Don't ever overlook the fact that you are not alone and angels will guide your journey through life. They are nearer than you think.

PS: That's my beautiful mom in the picture above.

1 comentario: